Ultrasonography is a non-invasive imaging modality used for diagnostic purposes.
During pregnancy, it is important for the mother to undergo a few routine scans at regular intervals. These scans will inform the doctor at various stages regarding the babies growth and overall health.
List of scans recommended are as follows.
- Viability Scan: Usually the earliest scan to be performed,to confirm that you are pregnant, determine your due date, single or multiple pregnancy.
- Nuchal Translucency Scan: It is a routine scan performed between 11-13 weeks to check your baby’s growth and development. Through this scan we can assess the risk of certain chromosomal(genetic) defects such as Down’s syndrome, Patau’s syndrome, Edward’s syndromes and also check for certain foetal anomalies.
- Anomaly Scan: This is one of the most important scans. It is performed at 20 weeks to check your baby’s health and development. We’ll measure your baby and check the heart, brain, spine, bowel, limbs and other structures for abnormalities. We’ll also look for any issues with the placenta, umbilical cord or amniotic fluid.
- Interval Growth Scan: This study is done to check on your baby’s development before he or she is born. We’ll measure your baby and perform a range of health checks.
Some additional scans that may be performed at the request of the obstetrician.
- Cervical Scan: an extra trans-vaginal scan to measure the length of your cervix if you are at risk of giving birth prematurely.
Reassurance Scan: This is an optional scan done based on the doctor’s decision to check on your baby’s health or if you have a high risk pregnancy.