Sometimes the newborn requires extra help after birth due to a host of reasons, prematurity being the most common. In the NICU, newborns are given necessary medical assistance and provided with an environment that is supportive to their growth.
A well trained team of doctors, nurses equipped with state of the art medical equipment constitute a good NICU and will provide the best chance for your newborn.
In the NICU, your newborn is given the assistance it requires to Breathe better, control infections and allow proper maturation of various organ systems.
Common reasons requiring admission in the NICU are:
- Baby born at gestational age of less than 37 weeks or more than 42 weeks
- Birth weight less than 2,500 grams or over 4,000 grams.
- Small for gestational age
- Medicine or resuscitation in the delivery room
- Birth defects
- Respiratory distress including rapid breathing, grunting, or stopping breathing (apnea)
- Infection such as herpes, group B streptococcus, chlamydia
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
- Need for extra oxygen or monitoring, IV (intravenous) therapy, or medicines
- Need for special treatment or procedures such as a blood transfusion
We can understand that it is overwhelming for parents to see their newborn admitted to the NICU, but we will provide all the necessary support and guidance to help the family.