Breast feeding Services
The initial few days of a newborn’s life are critical and for support they need to breastfeed successfully.
To be able to do so, mother’s need knowledge and guidance.
At Shreyas maternity home, we adhere to UNICEF’s Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative to promote good breastfeeding practices for new mothers.
This will enable wholesome development of the newborn and better physical and mental health of the mother.
We Ensure that our staff have sufficient knowledge, competence and skills to support breastfeeding. They will assist new mothers in the following ways:
- Support mothers to initiate and maintain breastfeeding and manage common difficulties.
- Enable mothers and their infants to remain together and to practise rooming-in 24 hours a day.
- Support mothers to recognize and respond to their infants’ cues for feeding.
- Counsel mothers on the use and risks of feeding bottles, teats and pacifiers.
Benefits of breastfeeding
- It is the best form of nutrition for the newborn since the nutrition profile is tailor made for the newborns digestive system.
- Prevents infection and dehydration in newborns.
- Prevents breast cancer, endometrial cancer in the mother.
- Proven to promote bonding between the mother and child.
- Some studies indicate that a brain boost occurs in the child due to breastfeeding.
The benefits are numerous and long lasting for both the mother and child.
HOW LONG SHOULD I BREASTFEED MY BABY?
It is recommended to exclusively breastfeed the baby for the first 6 months and continue breastfeeding along with complementary foods from six months till 2 years of age.
Consult our team to know more and clarify your doubts.